Friday, January 24, 2014

Understanding yourself

After you have discovered the "new you" or as I like to say the Real You, you must then figure out how to deal with all this new information you have discovered.  I will elaborate:

One day I went to get my hair done ... like I always do.  I have been going to the same guy even since I have lived in Lafayette.  I got my usual done, I went to go write my check and tells me a different price, less that it has even been in the last 7 years.  I asked him if he was charging me for everything ... his reply I will never forget "your hair is easier to cut now that you have lost all that weight".  I was a little upset by this, because I was getting a fat surcharge?

One of the upsides of the real me, was shopping for  trip back home for my friend Amanda's wedding.  I was able to buy a shirt in a store I had never even been in before in the mall.  I never went there because the last 8 years of my life in Lafayette, I could only go to one store in the mall and find something to wear: Lane Bryant. The store was the Gap, I felt completely empowered that I could wear a large.  I just assumed I would need to get the XXL because its a "regular store" as the old me would have referred to it.  But to my surprise the XXL was like a tarp on me ... Luis went and got the Large and it fit perfectly.  I was even able to buy jeans there.  Being able to buy clothing in almost any store I go in, is both dangerous and exciting.  I actually like shopping now.  While I do not HATE Lane Bryant, I just never want to shop there for myself again.

My family, I think they take it the hardest.  Both Luis family and mine.  I think they have more of a problem with us making changes to our live than we do.  Snarky comments like "oh your not the fat sister anymore"  I was completely and utterly in shock when that was said to me.

I have a new voice too.  I have always been know as the outspoken loud girl.  I have no problems with that, but now that I have this new found confidence, I have become more outspoken.  Before, especially at work, I'd like some individuals walk all over me, at times.  One day, I went to work and just started calling them out on the things they were saying.  Granted - that made me enemy number one, but it cut down on the lies being told inter office.  It also helped me be more direct with all of our doctors we see for the fertility problems.  It is a delicate subject, but if you don't want to help then don't take us on as patients.

Its no secret, I like power and to have control of a situation.  So now that I am empowered, I almost feel unstoppable (to myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment